Our Sustainability Vision: Federal Capital Partners® is committed to sustainability projects that enhance the environmental performance of its assets and improve quality of life for residents while maximizing investor returns.
As of September 2015, FCP was ranked in the top half of US Residential fund managers and Value-Add managers according to the 2015 Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB) Survey. The firm was recognized as one of the top performers in identifying and implementing value-add efficiencies within its communities (FCP score of 91 compared to industry average of 58). The firm also ranked highly in the categories of management, policy and stakeholder engagement.
FCP continuously seeks ways to encourage environmental awareness and minimize the impact of its built environments on the land, waters and air that support our communities.
- Efficient Land/Infrastructure Use: FCP specializes in re-purposing and renovating existing buildings to improve such elements as energy and water efficiency, reduce the carbon footprint, and enhance the tenant’s living experience. FCP’s investments in new development have most often occurred in infill, transit-oriented locations where the community and municipalities have encouraged investment and redevelopment.
- Forestry Conservation: The community of St. Charles, MD, purchased by FCP in 2009, has received Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI®) certification for its forest management practices. Through this initiative, the 9,100 acre, master-planned community ensures lasting excellence in its stewardship of all St. Charles forested areas through the sustainable harvest of mature, overmature, diseased and suppressed timber.
- Energy and Water Efficiency: FCP evaluates efficiency and utility reduction opportunities during acquisition due diligence for quick implementation of those programs upon closing. As part of the firm’s EcoSave program, FCP has refitted many of its properties with low-flow showers and toilets, compact fluorescent bulbs, additional insulation, new energy-efficient hot water heaters, new energy-efficient windows and more.
- Engagement of Experts: FCP utilizes environmental consultants to identify and implement capital projects that reduce utility consumption. FCP benefits from utility and government sponsored rebate programs for many of these capital projects.
- Continuous Feedback: FCP gathers and implements best practices from its employees, its property and community managers and its peers with regard to sustainability issues. Management includes discussion on sustainability projects in its quarterly asset performance meetings.